Professor, Electrical Engineering
Tyrone Vincent received the B.S. degree in electrical engineering from the University of Arizona, Tucson, in 1992, and the M.S. and Ph.D. in electrical engineering from the University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, in 1994 and 1997 respectively. He has been with the faculty of the Division of Engineering at the Colorado School of Mines since 1998, where he is currently an Assoc. Prof.. He has been awarded the 2003 IEEE Transactions on Industry Applications Second Paper Prize (with co-authors Whitehorn, Debrunner and Steele), and an NSF CAREER award. His research interests are at the intersection of signal processing and control systems, with applications to thin film manufacturing, robotics, and augmented reality. Of particular interest is investigating ways of increasing the accuracy and amount of information that can be obtained from sensors or sensor systems in these areas. This involves the development and analysis of algorithms such as efficient sensor fusion, nonlinear system identification, and fault detection, or methods for optimal input design.
- B.S. Electrical Engineering, University of Arizona, 1992
- M.S. Electrical Engineering, University of Michigan, 1994
- Ph.D. Electrical Engineering, University of Michigan, 1997
- control systems
- system identification
- A M. Colclasure, B. M. Sanandaji, T. L. Vincent, R. J. Kee, “Modeling and control of tubular solid-oxide fuel cell systems: I. Physical models and linear model reduction,” Journal of Power Sources, 2010, doi:10.1016/j.jpowsour.2010.06.074
- B. M. Sanandaji, T. L. Vincent, A M. Colclasure, R. J. Kee, “Modeling and control of tubular solid-oxide fuel cell systems: II. Nonlinear model reduction and model predictive control,” Journal of Power Sources, 2010, doi:10.1016/j.jpowsour.2010.06.075
- Tyrone L. Vincent, Carlo Novara, Kenneth Hsu, and Kameshwar Poolla, “Input design for structured nonlinear system identification”, Automatica, vol. 46, no. 6, pp. 990-998, 2010.
- Guther Schwab, John P. H. Steele, and Tyrone L. Vincent, “Vision Based Spatter Classification for Contaminant Detection” AWS Journal, Vol. 88, pp. 121s-130s, 2009.
- Kenneth Hsu, Kameshwar Poolla, and Tyrone L. Vincent, “Identification of Structured Nonlinear Systems” IEEE Transactions on Automatic Control, Vol. 53, No. 11, pp. 2497-2513, 2008.
- Kenneth Hsu, Tyrone Vincent, Greg Wolodkin, Sundeep Rangan, Kameshwar Poolla “An LFT Approach to Parameter Estimation,” Automatica, Vol. 44, pp. 3087-3092, 2008.
- Josh Erramouspe, Panos D. Kiousis, Richard Christenson, and Tyrone Vincent, “A resetting stiffness dynamic controller and its bench scale implementation,” Engineering Structures, vol. 29, no. 10, pp. 2602-2610, 2007.
- Kenneth Hsu, Carlo Novara, Tyrone Vincent, Mario Milanese, Kameshwar Poolla, “Parametric and Nonparametric Curve Fitting,” Automatica Vol. 42 No. 11, pp. 1869-1873, 2006.
- Matt J. Hilt, Tyrone L. Vincent, Bharat S. Joshi and Lin J. Simpson, “Estimating relative deposition rates in a multi-source continuous-deposition process using a single composition sensor,” IEEE Transactions on Control Systems Technology, Vol. 14, No. 2, pp. 247-259, 2006.
- Mark T. Lusk, Tyrone Vincent, and Moneesh Upmanyu, “Steering of a Grain Boundary with Strain, Electromagnetic Field, and Stochastic Boundary Excitation,” Journal of Applied Physics, Vol. 100, 103526, 2006.
- Mark T. Lusk, Moneesh Upmanyu, and Tyrone Vincent, “Targeted manipulation of grain boundaries and triple junctions on thin films using lasers: A Potts model simulation,” Journal of Applied Physics, Vol. 99, 023505, 2006.
- John P.H. Steele, Chris Mnich, Chris Debrunner, Tyrone Vincent, and Stephen Liu, “Development of closed-loop control of robotic welding processes,” Industrial Robot: An International Journal, Vol. 32, No. 4, pp. 350-355, 2005.
- Tyrone L. Vincent and Laxminaryan L. Raja, “Optimal Pulse Shaping for Plasma Processing,” IEEE Transactions on Control Systems Technology, vol 12. no. 1, 2004.
- Tyrone L. Vincent and Laxminaryan L. Raja, “A Novel Approach for Control of High-density Plasma Reactors through Optimal Pulse Shaping,” Journal of Vacuum Science and Technology A, Sept/Oct, 2002.
- M. Whitehorn, T. Vincent, C. H. Debrunner and J. Steele, “Stereo Vision in LHD Automation,” IEEE/IAS Transaction on Industry Applications, Vol. 39, No. 1, pp. 21 -29, 2003.
- Lin Chai, William A. Hoff and Tyrone L. Vincent, “3-D motion and structure estimation using inertial sensors and computer vision for augmented reality,” Presence: Teleoperators and Virtual Environments, Vol. 11, No. 5, pp. 474-491, 2002.
- I.L. Eisgruber, B. Joshi, N. Gomez, J. Britt, T. Vincent, “In-situ x-ray fluorescence used for real-time control of CUINxGA1-x SE2 thin film composition”, Thin Solid Flims, vol. 408, pp. 64-72, 2002.
- J. J. Robbins, R. T. Alexander, W. Xiao, T. L. Vincent and C. A. Wolden, “An investigation of tin oxide plasma-enhanced chemical vapor deposition using optical emission spectroscopy,” Thin Solid Films, vol. 406, pp. 145-150, 2002.
- Joshua J. Robbins, Robert T. Alexander, Mailasu Bai, Yen-Jung Huang, Tyrone L. Vincent, and Colin A. Wolden, “Development of tin oxide synthesis by plasma-enhanced chemical vapor deposition,” Journal of Vacuum Science Technology A, Nov/Dec, 2001
- Hoff, W. A. and T. L. Vincent, “Analysis of Head Pose Accuracy in Augmented Reality,” IEEE Trans. Visualization and Computer Graphics, Vol 6., No. 4, 2000.
- T. L. Vincent and P. P. Khargonekar, “A Class of Nonlinear Filtering Problems arising from Drifting Sensor Gains,” IEEE Transactions on Automatic Control, vol. 44, no. 3, pp. 509-520, 1999.
- C. Galarza, P. Khargonekar, N. Layadi, T. Vincent, E. Rietman and J. Lee, “A new algorithm for real-time thin film thickness estimation given in situ multiwavelength ellipsometry using an extended Kalman filter,” Thin Solid Films, pp. 313-314, February, 1998.
- M. Sarfaty, C. Baum, R. Breun, N. Hershkowitz, J. L. Shohet, K. Nagpal, T. Vincent, P. P. Khargonekar, “Real-time measurement of thin film thickness during processing,” Plasmas and Polymers, vol. 2, no. 4, pp. 229-244, 1997.
- T. L. Vincent, P. P. Khargonekar and F. L. Terry, Jr., “Real time estimation and feedback control of etch rate and etch depth using nonlinear filtering techniques,” Journal of the Electrochemical Society, vol. 144, no. 7, pp. 2467-2472, 1997.
- T. L. Vincent, P. P. Khargonekar and F. L. Terry, Jr., “An Extended Kalman Filtering based method of processing reflectometry data for fast in-situ etch rate measurements,” IEEE Transactions on Semiconductor Manufacturing, vol. 10, no. 1, pp. 42-51, 1997.
- M. Hankinson, T. Vincent, K. Irani, and P. Khargonekar, “Combined real-time and run-to-run control of etch depth and spatial uniformity in plasma etching,” Journal of the Electrochemical Society, vol. 144, no. 7, pp. 2473-2479, 1997.
- M. Hankinson, T. Vincent, K. Irani, and P. Khargonekar, “Integrated real-time and run-to-run control of etch depth in reactive ion etching,” IEEE Transactions on Semiconductor Manufacturing, vol. 10, no. 1, pp. 121-130, 1997.