Abd A. Arkadan
Professor (Graduate & Teaching Faculty), Electrical Engineering
Before joining Colorado School of Mines Department of Electrical Engineering (2016), Dr. Arkadan was a Research Professor at Marquette University, Milwaukee WI, (2014–2016). He also served as Professor at and President of Rafik Hariri University, Mechref, Lebanon (2004-2014). Prior to that, he joined Marquette University as an Assistant Professor (1988) where he became an Associate Professor (1993) and Professor (1998). Dr. Arkadan is the author of over 100 technical papers. He is a Fellow of the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE) “For contributions to computer aided characterization and design optimization of electric machines and drive systems.” He is also a Fellow of the Applied Computational Electromagnetics Society (ACES). Dr. Arkadan chaired several international conferences including the First IEEE International Electric Machines and Drives Conference (IEEE-IEMDC) held in Milwaukee, WI (May 1997) and the IEEE Conference on electromagnetic Field Computations (IEEE-CEFC) held in Milwaukee WI (May 2000) and in Chicago, IL (May 2010). He served as the Editorial Board Chair of IEEE-CEFC 2016, held in Miami Florida, November 2016). He served as Editor in Chief, for IEEE Transactions on Magnetics, (June 2017) Special Issue. Currently, he is a member of IEEE-CEFC International Steering Committee and its Past Chair, ACES Society President, and ACES Journal Associate Editor. Furthermore, he is the incoming Conference Chair for ACES Conference 2020 to be held in Monterey, CA, and GreenTech Conference 2021, to be held in Denver, CO.
- B.S. Electrical Engineering, University of Mississippi, 1980
- M.S. Electrical Engineering, Virginia Polytechnic Institute & State University, 1981
- Ph.D. Electrical Engineering, Clarkson University, New York, USA, 1988
- energy conversion
- electric machines and drives
- design optimization
- renewable and efficient energy and power systems
- onboard aerospace and marine power systems
- hybrid electric vehicles
- Arkadan, A.A., Hijazi, T.M., and El-Masri, B, “Impact of Stator Teeth on Performance Characteristics of Axial-Flux Permanent Magnet Wind Generators,” IEEE Trans. on Magnetics, Vol. 53, No. 6, Article 8104404, June 2017.
- Arkadan, A.A. and El-Hariri, M., “EM–SS-Wavelets for Characterization of High-Speed Generators in Distributed Generation,” IEEE Trans. on Magnetics, Vol. 52, No. 2, Article 8101504, March 2016.
- Al-Aawar, N. and Arkadan A.-R.A., “Optimal Control Strategy for Hybrid Electric Vehicle Powertrain,” IEEE Journal of Emerging and Selected Topics in Power Electronics, Vol. 03, No. 2, pp. 362-370, June 2015.
- Arkadan, A.A., Al-Aawar, N., and Hariri, A.O. “EM-Taguchi Module for the Characterization of WAD,” IEEE Trans. on Magnetics, Vol. 51, No. 3, Article 8202304, March 2015.
- Al-Aawar, N.; Hijazi, T.M. and Arkadan, A.A., “Particle Swarm Optimization of Coupled Electromechanical Systems,” IEEE Trans. on Magnetics, Vol.47, No.5, pp.1314-17, May 2011.